On 10 Feb 05 Steve Reed said:

> In 2014, according to trend, the semiconductor manufacturers may reach
> the 16 nanometer lithography node, with 32 CPU cores per chip, perhaps
> 150+ times more capable than today's x86 chip.

I raised this issue with a colleague who said that he wondered whether this
extrapolation would work because of the dynamics of economic cost.  He
argued that CPUs have been getting more expensive in absolute terms (not
relative to performance) as their capacity has increased and he thought that
this trend of CPU price increases would continue.  He said he thought that the
reasons that computers have been getting cheaper as whole systems has
come close to running its course leaving the rising price of the CPUs as the
dominant trend.  He therefore thought that Moore's Law might run out of puff -
not because of technology limits but because of cost escalations.

Since I had no idea whether he was right (my subjective impression had been
that the long run trajectory for the price of computers was a long run decline)
thought I should ask whether anyone has a view on my colleague's argument.

Cheers, Philip

subscription,