Hi,

Obviously this has little to do with AGI and was posted to this list
by mistake, yet it is indirectly relevant to AGI.  Because the
reaction that many "mainstream" biological scientists have to Aubrey's
work is typical of the reaction that many  mainstream AI scientists
have to any work that tries to seriously address general intelligence.

I have studied many of Aubrey's papers and have found them to include
a lot of rigorous biological science.  Of course, it's true that he's
also made a lot of speculative conjectures that could be classified as
"fanciful speculation" if one wanted to adopt a negative emotional
tone.  But the truth is that "fanciful speculation" of this sort is a
necessary precondition to any kind of big scientific advance.  Recall,
for instance, Riemann's fanciful speculations that it might make sense
to think about physical space as having more than three dimensions.
Fanciful indeed, yet a while later Einstein built on those ideas to
create General Relativity Theory, which is real science and predicts
experimental results accurately.  If Einstein had been unwilling to
pay attention to "fanciful speculations" like Riemann's he would not
have been able to come up with his new science.

Aubrey has proposed a plausible research program that is aimed at
rigorously validating or falsifying his hypotheses (i.e.
"speculations") about the conquest of aging.  He is trying to raise a
large amount of funds to carry out this program -- and this may be
part of the reason why folks in the mainstream of biology don't like
him!  They're afraid that he might succeed in raising money for his
research, while will take money away from their (less risky, less
adventurous, less exciting) research.

In my own work on AGI I have found it necessary to mix up speculation
with rigorous science pretty freely.  It's true that this is different
than the more down-to-earch scientific work one typically sees.  But
if one is trying to make a big leap ahead of the current state of
knowledge, there's really no other way to do it.  This kind of work is
higher-risk and higher-reward than conventional scientific research,
and it's only natural for the "little men" of conventional science to
put it down.  To hell with them.

Aubrey de Grey may be wrong --- I think he's wrong on some things and
right on others (for whatever my opinion on biology is worth).  But
he's no crank, and he's definitely not worthy of this kind of haughty
dismissiveness from a massively lesser mind.

-- Ben G