Hi Pei,

> The topics where I agree with Cassimatis:
>
> *. "humans use the same or similar mechanisms for linguistic and
> nonlinguistic cognition"
>
> *. there are "dualities between elements of physical and grammatical
> structure"
>
> *. "Infant physical reasoning mechanisms are sufficient to infer
> grammatical structure"

I agree on these points but I feel that the third point subtly
bypasses the most important issue.

I think that infant physical reasoning uses the same reasoning rules
and the same basic inference control strategies as any other kind of
reasoning.  Thus, I think the third point holds absolutely only in a
somewhat uninteresting way.

I don't think that the example he gives of whole-versus-part dominance
transferring from the physical to the linguistic domain is very
representative.  I think that there are going to be plenty of
linguistic phenomena that cannot be dealt with via any simple mapping
from heuristics relevant for understanding the physical world.
Nevertheless, I think these linguistic phenomena can be dealt with
using the same reasoning rules and inference control strategies as are
used for reasoning about physical phenomena.

> *. the notion of "physical reasoning/inference" --- I understand why
> he used the phrase, and he wasn't the one to coin it, but it still
> sounds weird to me
>
> *. "Dualities between elements of physical and grammatical structure"
> --- He still uses predicate calculus, which lacks support for concepts
> with internal structures. Term logics will do much better here.
>
> *. "Long-distance dependencies and apparent motion" --- The duality
> here is much less natural than the others.

I agree with you on all these points

Ben

subscription,