----- Original Message -----
From: "Eugen Leitl" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <agi@v2.listbox.com>
Sent: Sunday, January 15, 2006 5:43 AM
Subject: Re: [agi] Performance is what counts...Financial & Economics

> Is IBM Deep Blue just a look up machine or really perceiving and logical
> reasoning with an output of action.. the next move.

I don't remember if it was a box with 64 dedicated chess ASICs but it definitely
contained Power CPUs which are all-purpose.

> Of course, we do not know if people play chess well, we only know that
> some play better than others.
> Any AI worth its upkeep should be able to perceive, reason and act.
> of course these abilities will develop over a considerable amount of
> program design, development and implementation.

If you're talking about explicitly implementing capabilities
(here a module for chess, here's a module for car navigation,
here's one for spring cleaning) you'll never progress below
a brittle set of isolate skills.

> Supposedly any intelligence can be reapplied to the AI System and
> therefore benefit from its own success. Compounding over time will be the
> major part as the development continues. The higher the rate of learning
> will be most desirable. How those higher rates are obtained and kept
> moving to the next level is a most important technology.
>
> I do believe the Financial and Economics expert AI system will be of
> enormous value and one of the best performance test of any AI System.

An AI which only sees the raw numbers can't develop a better market
representation than a relatively simple predictor.

Giving the AI system enough factors regarding the Economy and the buying needs and wants of those demanding goods and services should be part of the Economic Knowledge base...

But we see the declining disposable incomes as Gasoline and Natural gas cost more and the buyer switches money to those needed products. There is a priority of needs and wants that shift over time. I am sure a good data mining AI could Identify these trends and use that to help predict the probabilities of profit for the next period as sales count up over time.
I doubt that any person can keep in focus all of the factors.

Remember that compounding is involved and you only need to make 1.00277 per trade for each of the 250 days to double your investment... in one year.. Even a 1.01 percent gain for 250 days will magnify your investment 12 times if your AI investment system is good enough. That should buy a lot of computers and expertise to help the AI system become even more knowledgeable.

--
Eugen* Leitl <a href="">leitlhttp://leitl.org">leitl</a> http://leitl.org