One of the more interesting ideas the Numenta people have is of how a
perceptual system could be used in a motor-control system by hooking
up "expectations" to actual "commands."  I think its fair to say that
Numenta is pushing towards AGI from the animalistic perspective.  Once
they hook up some memory and tie it in with a control system, it seems
they have a good chance of getting something thats about as smart as
some dumb animals.  To imagine how animals think, I always like to
imagine the part of my consciousness that is driving a car while Im
driving and having a conversation.  The conversation control is the
"human" part of me.  The car control is the "animal mind."   Im
guessing that if Numenta makes a lot of progress, they can get that
animal mind.  But the work described in that paper doesnt seem to have
much to do with the "human" aspect of mind.

Mike

On 6/2/06, Mike Ross <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The theoretical presumption here is that once you've solve the problem
> of recognizing moderately complex patterns in perceptual data streams,
> then you're essentially done with the AGI problem and the rest is just
> some wrappers placed around your perception code.  I don't think
> so....  I think they are building a nice perceptual pattern
> recognition module, and waving their hands around arguing that it
> actually is just an exemplar for an approach that can be more general.

Some parts of the article definitely overemphasize the potential for
perceptual pattern recognition to account for a large number of
cognitive processes.  But I think that, ultimately, Hawkins et al
probably agree with your characterization of perception.  For
instance, they spend some time discussing the need to hook up an
external episodic memory module in order to get more powerful
behavior.  So surely, from an AGI perspective, they believe that HTM
would be just one (albeit important) element in a more complex system.

Mike