Soar, like other "cognitive architectures" (such as ACT-R), is not
designed to directly deal with domain problems. Instead, it is a
high-level platform on which a program can be built for a specific
problem.

On the contrary, Novamente, like other "AGI systems" (such as NARS),
is designed to directly deal with domain problems. To work well,
usually it needs to be trained with domain-specific knowledge, but
such a "training" process is fundamentally different from a
"programming" process.

To me, many other differences, such as the role of learning, follow
from the above difference between "program to work" and "learn to
work".

The current issue of AI Magazine
(http://www.aaai.org/Library/Magazine/vol27.php#Summer) is highly
relevant to this discussion. Especially, the articiles by Langley,
Cassimatis, and Jones&Wray provide good introductions and discussions
about cognitive architectures.

Pei