Such an approach has been tried by non-monotonic logics and
endorsement theory, and it works for some domain-specific problems.
For AGI, however, it will run into problems like multiple inheritances
--- almost all empirical knowledge is "normally true", so when there
are conflicts among them (as in the "Nixon Diamond"), there is no
general solution in a non-numeric theory, and you have to depend on
problem-specific knowledge/rule, which is not always available.

Pei

On 8/4/06, Yan King Yin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 8/4/06, Pei Wang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The real alternative of numerical truth value is to stay with binary
> logic, which will make things even worse.

What I propose is to use symbolic, qualitative modifiers.  For example:
1.  this harddrive may be defective
2.  this harddrive is very likely defective
3.  this harddrive is almost certainly defective
4.  if this harddrive is not defective, [insert joke]

so in principle I can create any number of nuances, if required.  Most of
the time, facts would simply be in unmodified form.  (Use nonmonotonic
reasoning to update them).

subscription, please go to
http://v2.listbox.com/member/[EMAIL PROTECTED]