On 8/19/06, Ben Goertzel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Well, but I can generate a hypothetical grounding for "mushrooom pie"
> on the fly even though I haven't seen one ;-)
>
> And I can form concepts of mathematical structures that I have never
> experienced nor exemplified and may in fact be inconsistent and not
> even exist...
>
> Not all concepts are formed in episodic memory, of course..

Well, once again the distinction between NL (natural language) and KR (knowledge representation) is important here.  Determining what is the meaning of "mushroom pie" is an NL --> KR problem.  In this case a heuristic rule like "try to construct the meaning of a compound word XY by looking for words like X'Y where X' is similar to X" may be applicable.

So NL can be ambiguous, KR is not.

Within KR itself, we can form novel concepts out of existing ones, and this operation is not dependent on NL.  For example I can form the concept "unfair justice".

In "blackboard" the NL word maps to either "a board that is black in color" or "a board for writing that is usually black/green/white".  The KR of those concepts are unambiguous; it's just that there are 2 alternatives.

YKY