Actually I think I just may have invented one possible way to do that using a lossless probabilistic model in my previous email to this list. Did you read it?

:-) I read it. I think that you have to be in a "perfect world" situation for what you propose to be feasible (i.e. it requires seeing the phrases in pretty much identical contexts -- which you have to recognize as identical -- and then being able to tell that that they affect the distribution of following words and phrases approximately equivalently -- which is an equally large problem). I'm afraid that it *really* does not look like a *feasible* solution at all (to me -- as I said, I think that going at all this via a probability model is not the way to go since it entails getting and analyzing those probabilities from far less data than I think is necessary for those operations).

       Mark

----- Original Message ----- From: "Sampo Etelavuori" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <agi@v2.listbox.com>
Sent: Monday, August 28, 2006 8:56 AM
Subject: **SPAM** Re: [agi] Lossy *&* lossless compressi

On 8/28/06, Mark Waser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
How does a lossless model observe that "Jim is extremely fat" and "James >continues to be morbidly obese" are approximately equal?

Actually I think I just may have invented one possible way to do that using a lossless probabilistic model in my previous email to this list. Did you read it? Anyway, in case you have a hard time figuring it out all by yourself, the idea behind it can be pretty straigthforwardly generalized to be used with phrases and thus I think phrases can be observed to be approximately equal if they can occur in pretty much identical contexts and affect the distribution of following words and phrases approximately equivalently.