--- Charles D Hixson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Stephen Reed wrote:
> > I would appreciate comments regarding additional
> > constraints, if any, that should be applied to a
> > traditional open source license to achieve a free
> but
> > safe widespread distribution of software that may
> lead
> > to AGI.
> >
> My personal opinion is that the best license is the
> GPL.  Either version
> 2 or 3...currently I can't choose between them
> (partially because
> version 3 is still being written).
[snip]
> How do you keep the bad guys from using it?  You
> keep on developing.
> Those who fork tend to fall behind, unless they get
> community support.

As a long time gcc tool chain user I agree with the
comments below but let me draw a distinction between
an AGI and all software that precedes it.  I think
that an AGI might be dangerous, especially an
uncontrolled AGI.  I wish to impose well-founded
ethical and law-abiding policies on the various
downloaded AI softwares.  There are already laws and
enforcement world wide that constrains most bad guys,
but there is little precedent outside of robotics,
numerical control and embedded, e.g. medical software
for building in safety as part and parcel of the
software.  That puts me at odds with the GPL which
forbids any additional constraints in derivations of
its license.  The Apache Software License can be
further constrained in derived works, e.g. adding a
must-be-federated clause.

A "let's cross that bridge when we come to it"
attitude might be to open source the pre-AI software,
developing action justification, Friendship goal
structure, proscribed behaviors, policy hierarchies,
self-improvement monitoring and so forth without usage
constrictions.  As you point out, this will ease
adoption and the great majority of downloaders will
choose to operate in federated mode, out of
self-interest.  Should evidence arise that an AGI
could indeed evolve, then alarmists and skeptics will
arise, a hoopla will ensue, and behavior constraints
will be externally imposed.

http://v2.listbox.com/member/[EMAIL PROTECTED]