Shane Legg wrote:

Funding is certainly a problem.  I'd like to work on my own AGI ideas
 after my PhD is over next year... but can I get money to do that?
Probably not.  So as a compromise I'll have to work on something else
in AI during the day, and spend my weekends doing the stuff I'd
really like to be doing. Currently I code my AI at nights and
weekends.

Shane, what would you do if you had your headway? Say, you won the lottery tomorrow (ignoring the fact that no rational person would buy a ticket). Not just "AGI" - what specifically would you sit down and do all day? If there's somewhere online that already answers this or a previous AGI message I should read, just point.

Pressure to publish is also a problem.  I need results on a regular
basis that I can publish otherwise my career is over.  AGI is not
really short term results friendly.

Indeed not. It takes your first five years simply to figure out which way is up. But Shane, if you restrict yourself to results you can regularly publish, you couldn't work on what you really wanted to do, even if you had a million dollars.