I would dearly love to have some intercompatible standards for robotics interfaces.  There have been a few attempts to define a standard in the past, but none of them have been very successful so far.  A few years ago I remember there was something called the Robotics Engineering Task Force which was backed by some big names and was supposed to set some interfacing standards, but after a year or so that effort died.

Looking forward I think we can expect a whole load more proprietory stuff before some standards begin to emerge, and that's likely to apply both in academic and industrial research.

It's also my hope that in the years to come some kind of cheap off-the-shelf robotics platform will emerge, which will be affordable to a wide range of software developers.  This could be something PC based (like the Whitebox 914) or might just be a dumb telerobot being driven over high bandwidth wireless networks by remote dissembodied server intelligences (I think the latter scenario is more likely).  Once there is some kind of common platform where people can begin to share code and ideas then I think progress in the robotics area will be far more rapid.

- Bob