On 10/21/06, Philip Goetz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Commercially, I'm not sure if OS or CS is better.  Remember Steve Job's
> > APPLE lost the PC market to IBM because IBM provided a more "open"
> > architecture (in addition to the fact that IBM was more resourceful).  We
> > need to be careful not to lose the same way...
>
> Remember also that IBM lost its OWN architecture because it was more open.
>
> But also remember that Atari had probably better, certainly cheaper
> computers than Apple, and got squashed by the Apple ][, probably
> because the Apple ][ was so very much more open.

Thanks for the insightful observation, but we should also notice that AGI is quite a bit larger in scale than the PC revolution.  A full-blown AGI project involves vision, NLP, planning, etc.  In such a situation it seems that having an open architecture can only help more.

As for Ben's worry, "evil individuals" have very little chance of pulling off full AGI projects.

As for rogue states attempting to build AGIs, I think the end result would be that all the governments will end up not using them, and the research will spill over to civilian use, which is also beneficial.

YKY