So my question is: what is needed to extend language models to the level of
compound sentences?  More training data?  Different training data?  A new
theory of language acquisition?  More hardware?  How much?

What is needed is:

A better training approach, involving presentation of compound
sentences in conjunction with real-world (or sim-world) situations ...

A better theory of language acquisition, more fully explaining the
impact of semantics and pragmatics on syntax learning.

I like Tomassello's language acquisition theory BTW (see his book
"Constructing a Language"), but connecting his ideas with pragmatic AI
algorithms and structures is a lot of work (as I know for I have done
it in the context of Novamente).

Also Calvin and Bickerton, in Lingua ex Machina, have some interesting
things to say, though they don't dig as deep as Tomassello

-- Ben G