I disagree that humans really have a "stable motivational system" or would have to have a much more strict interpretation of that phrase.
  Overall humans as a society have in general a stable system (discounting war and etc)

  But as individuals, too many humans are unstable in many small if not totally self-destructivee ways.

For the most part, people are a selfish lot :}  and think very much in terms of what they can get.  They have a very hard time looking down the road at consequences that may come about their actions.

They seek pleasure by cheating, though it may hurt thier partner their children and their future stability, they seek to gain unlawful monies aka Enron and Martha stewart ect.

In general people may be "good" "moral" or "stable" but the numbers of those that are not is so very high, that if we compare them to AI's turned loose on the world, I would hate to think about what every 1/10 AI would be like if modeled on us.

But enough on that :}

Who all out there are working on any Natural Language Processing systems?  Or any kind of Information Extraction?

James Ratcliff

Matt Mahoney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
My comment on Richard Loosemore's proposal: we should not be confident in our ability to produce a stable motivational system.  We observe that motivational systems are highly stable in animals (including humans).  This is only because if an animal can manipulate its motivations in any way, then it is quickly removed by natural selection.  Examples of manipulation might be to turn off pain or hunger or reproductive drive, or to stimulate its pleasure center.  Humans can do this to some extent by using drugs, but this leads to self destructive behavior.  In experiments where a mouse can stimulate its pleasure center via an electrode in its brain by pressing a lever, it will press the lever, foregoing food and water until it dies.

So we should not take the existence of stable motivational systems in nature as evidence that we can get it right.  These systems are complex, have evolved over a long time, and even then don't always work in the face of technology or a rapidly changing environment.

-- Matt Mahoney, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thank You
James Ratcliff
http://falazar.com