Eric wrote:
The challenge is to find a methodology
for producing fast enough and frugal enough code, where that
methodology is practicable. For example, as a rough upper bound,
it would be practicable if it required 10,000 programmer years and
1,000,000 PC-years  (i.e a $3Bn budget).
(Why should producing a human-level AI be cheaper than decoding the
genome?) And of course, it has to scale, in the sense that you have to
be able to prove with < $10^7 (preferably < $10^6 ) that the
methodology works (as was the case more or less with the genome.)
This, it seems to me, requires a first project much more limited
than understanding most of English, yet of significant practical
benefit. I'm wondering if someone has a good proposal.

I am afraid that it may not be possible to find an initial project that is both

* small
* clearly a meaningfully large step along the path to AGI
* of significant practical benefit

My observation is that for nearly all practical tasks, either

a) it is a fairly large amount of work to get them done within an AGI
architectre

or

b) narrow-AI methods can do them pretty well with a much smaller
amount of work than it would take to do them within an AGI
architecture

I suspect there are fundamental reasons for this, even though current
computer science and AI theory doesn't let us articulate these reasons
clearly, at this stage.

So, I think that, in terms of proving the value of AGI research, we
wll likely have to settle for a combination of:

a) an interim task that is relatively small, and is clearly along the
path to AGI, and is impressive in itself but is not necessarily of
large practical benefit unto itself.

b) interim tasks that are of practical value, and utilize AGI-related
ideas, but may also be achievable (with different strengths and
weaknesses) using narrow-AI methods

As an example of a, I suggest robustly learning to carry out a number
of Piagetan concrete-operational level tasks in a simulation world.

As an example of b, I suggest natural language question answering in a
limited domain.

Alternate suggestions of tasks are solicited and much valued ... any
suggestions??  ;-)

Ben