To: <agi@v2.listbox.com>
Sent: Wednesday, November 15, 2006 2:24 PM
Subject: Re: [agi] A question on the symbol-system hypothesis

Sorry if I did not make clear the distinction between knowing the learning algorithm for AGI (which we can do) and knowing what was learned (which we can't).

My point about Google is to illustrate that distinction. The Google database is about 10^14 bits. (It keeps a copy of the searchable part of the Internet in RAM). The algorithm is deterministic. You could, in principle, model the Google server in a more powerful machine and use it to predict the result of a search. But where does this get you? You can't predict the result of the simulation any more than you could predict the result of the query you are simulating. In practice the human brain has finite limits just like any other computer.

My point about AGI is that constructing an internal representation that allows debugging the learned knowledge is pointless. A more powerful AGI could do it, but you can't. You can't do any better than to manipulate the input and observe the output. If you tell your robot to do something and it sits in a corner instead, you can't do any better than to ask it why, hope for a sensible answer, and retrain it. Trying to debug the reasoning for its behavior would be like trying to understand why a driver made a left turn by examining the neural firing patterns in the driver's brain.

-- Matt Mahoney, [EMAIL PROTECTED]