Isn't this pointless? I mean, if I offer any proof you will just attack the assumptions. Without assumptions, you can't even prove the universe exists.

Just come up with decent assumptions that I'm willing to believe are likely. I'm not attacking your assumptions just to be argumentative, I'm questioning them because I believe that they are the root cause of your erroneous "knowledge".

An AGI will have greater algorithmic complexity than the human brain (assumption).

For example, it's very worthwhile to have you spell out something like this. I don't believe that the AGI will have greater algorithmic complexity than the human brain. It is my belief that after a certain point that *any* intelligence can import and use any algorithm at need (given sufficient time). Thus Legg's proof is irrelevant since any human given sufficient time and knowledge will have sufficient algorithmic complexity to unravel any AGI and any AGI given sufficient time and knowledge will have sufficient algorithmic complexity to unravel any human. In the case of an AI unraveling a human, however, I believe that the algorithmic complexity of a human being is so ridiculously high (because each neuron is unique and physically operates differently) that without being able to model down to the lowest physical level that there *isn't* a level with lower algorithmic complexity (i.e. low enough to be able for the AI to match). On the other hand, I believe that the algorithmic complexity of an AGI can and will be much lower.

Of course, I can't *prove* that last sentence but I can try to persuade you that it is true by asking questions like: 1. Do you really believe that an average human requires more than a million algorithms/recipes to do things (as opposed to a million applications of algorithms to different data which is clearly a ridiculously low number)? 2. So -- How fast do humans learn algorithms and how many do they start with hard-coded into the genome?

In your argument for transparency, you assume that individual pieces of knowledge can be isolated. Prove it.

Yes, I do make that assumption but you've tacitly granted me that assumption several times. Give me a counter-example of knowledge that can't be isolated. My proof is that humans who truly possess a piece of knowledge can always explain it (even if the explanation is only I've always seen it happen that way). This is not the native representation of the knowledge (neural networks) but is, nonetheless, a valid and transparent (and isolated) representation.

In the brain, knowledge is distributed. We make decisions by integrating many sources of evidence from all parts of the brain.

Yes. Neural networks do not isolate knowledge -- but that is a feature of the networks, not the knowledge. I believe that *all* knowledge (or, at least, the knowledge required to reach AGI-level intelligence can be isolated/have their reasoning explained).

- - - -

To claim that knowledge can't be isolated is to claim that there is knowledge that cannot be explained.

Do you want to
a) disagree with the above statement,
b) show me knowledge which can't be explained,
c) show why the statement is irrelevant, or
d) concede the point?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Matt Mahoney" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>