On 11/26/06, Matt Mahoney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
My point about artificial languages is I don't believe that they are of much
use in helping to understand or solve the natural language modeling problem,
which is a central problem to AGI.  Ben mentioned one use, which is to use
Lojban++ in combination with English to train an AGI in English.  In this case,
Lojban++ serves to help ground the language, just as using a 3-D modeling
language could also be used to describe the environment.  In this case, any
language which is expressive enough to do this and is familiar to the developer
will do.

It is a different case where we require users to learn an artificial language
because we don't know how to model natural language.  I don't see how this can
lead to any significant insights.  There are already many examples of
unabiguous and easy to parse programming languages (including superficially
English-like languages such as COBOL and SQL) and formal knowledge
representation languages (Cycl, prolog, etc).

An AGI has to deal with ambiguity and errors in language.  Consider the following sentence which I
used earlier: "I could even invent a new branch of mathematics, introduce appropriate
notation, and express ideas in it."  What does "it" refer to?  The solution in an
artificial language would be either to forbid pronouns (as in most programming languages) or
explicitly label it to make the meaning explicit.  But people don't want or need to do this.  They
can figure it out by context.  If your AGI can't use context to solve such problems then you
haven't solved the natural language modeling problem, and a vast body of knowledge will be
inaccessible.
Shouldn't really  be an issue. goi to label things, if you translated
all of a text and used an identifier for each foreign phrase
(primitive but may be necessary), I don't see why:
A: you can't try many different possibilities
B: you have make another copy conveying the alternative meaning if it
truly is ambiguous

I think you will find that writing a Lojban parser will be trivial compared to
writing an English to Lojban translator.
Maybe so, I plan on first making a Lojban-to-English translator to
increase the user base. The English-to-Lojban will be supported for
text that is produced from a Lojban-to-English translator. Other than
that, while harvesting information from English sources is nice it's
not a top priority. Besides the search business has lots of
competition and many people seem satisfied. Our target audience
initially will be people who's communities we can host through our
network. They should create lots of content, perhaps in an English
variant(lojbanplusplus) that isn't soo ambiguous until someone works
out the kinks in understanding pure-English.

Andrii (lOkadin) Zvorygin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>My initial reasoning was that right now many programs don't use AI,
>because programmers don't know, and the ones that do can't easily add
>code.

It is because language modeling is unsolved.  Computers would be much easier to
use if we could talk to them in English.  But they do not understand.  We don't
know how to make them understand.
The path to making them understand through Lojban seems rather well
defined so hopefully wont  be too tedius.

But we are making progress.  Google will answer simple, natural language
questions (although they don't advertise it).  The fact that others haven't
done it suggests the problem requires vast computational resources and training
data.
.uidai(happy empathy) progress is always good. .a'o(hope) We can help
each other achieve our goals even if they are different.

mu'omi'e.LOkadin.

-- Matt Mahoney, [EMAIL PROTECTED]