> Well, of course they can be explained by me -- but the acronym for
> that sort of explanation is "BS"

I take your point with important caveats (that you allude to).  Yes, nearly all
decisions are made as reflexes or pattern-matchings on what is effectively
compiled knowledge; however, it is the structuring of future actions that make
us the learning, intelligent entities that we are.

> The process of explaining why we have done what we have done is an
> important aspect of human intelligence -- but not because it is
> accurate, it almost never is....  More because this sort of
> storytelling helps us to structure our future actions (though
> generally in ways we cannot accurately understand or explain ;-)

Explaining our actions is the reflective part of our minds evaluating the
reflexive part of our mind.  The reflexive part of our minds, though, operates
analogously to a machine running on compiled code with the compilation of code
being largely *not* under the control of our conscious mind (though some degree
of this *can* be changed by our conscious minds).  The more we can correctly
interpret and affect/program the reflexive part of our mind with the reflective
part, the more intelligent we are.  And, translating this back to the machine
realm circles back to my initial point, the better the machine can explain it's
reasoning and use it's explanation to improve it's future actions, the more
intelligent the machine is (or, in reverse, no explanation = no intelligence).