On 12/4/06, Ben Goertzel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The statement, "You cannot turn off hunger or pain" is sensible.
> In fact, it's one of the few statements in the English language that
> is LITERALLY so.  Philosophically, it's more certain than
> "I think, therefore I am".
>
> If you maintain your assertion, I'll put you in my killfile, because
> we cannot communicate.

It is reported that, with sufficiently advanced training in
appropriate mind-control arts (e.g. some Oriental ones), something
accurately describable as "turning off hunger or pain" becomes
possible, from a subjective experiential perspective.

To allow that somewhere in the Himalayas, someone may be able,
with years of training, to lessen the urgency of hunger and
pain, is not sufficient evidence to assert that the proposition
that not everyone can turn them off completely is insensible.