Hi Phil,

In the language I am using

* goal A is a subgoal of goal B if achieving goal A is a special case of goal B

* a top-level supergoal of a system, is a goal of the system that is
not a subgoal of any other goal of the system (to a significant
degree)

* a meta-goal is a goal that is specifically "about' goals

So, it seems that my "metagoals" are what you would like to call "supergoals"?

I don't consider there is any "correct" language for stuff like this,
but I believe my use of "supergoal" is more standard than yours...

ben

On 12/22/06, Philip Goetz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 12/7/06, Ben Goertzel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> erased along with it.  So, e.g. even though you give up your supergoal
> of drinking yourself to death, you may involuntarily retain your
> subgoal of drinking (even though you started doing it only out of a
> desire to drink yourself to death).

I don't think these things you're calling supergoals should be called
supergoals.  A supergoal should be something like, "Clear things off
my goal stack", or, "Maximize my estimated integrated discounted
future utility."  Supergoals would not be representable in the
language you use to represent subgoals.  They most likely have no
explicit representation at all.

http://v2.listbox.com/member/?list_id=303