Dear Nathan,
Your description of the kind of neural-net scheme needs more detail before I
can give any more particular direction. It leaves a huge amount of
possibilities.
For example, is your neural net similar to hierarchical network of abstract
facts, being build by agents, whereas the agent's own functionality
(parameters) being altered by a (re)engineering agent guided by expectation
maximization over the training samples?
Or is it more like a classical neural network, being the difference that
your neurons perform a more exotic function of their input?
I've been thinking about 'evolving neural networks that are good at learning
spatial and temporal patterns' as well, but I have to say the theoretical
possibilities are endless, but scientifically vapour, if not tested on some
*real* data. To be taken seriously, you need a good specification of your
problem, and a straigth-forward way is to select some representative
training set, preferably used by previously published papers.

Diederik Kingma