On 12/2/06, Matt Mahoney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I know a little about network intrusion anomaly detection (it was my
dissertation topic), and yes it is an important lessson.

The reason such anomalies occur is
because when attackers craft exploits, they follow enough of the protocol to
make it work but often don't care about the undocumented conventions followed
by normal servers and clients.  For example, they may use lower case commands
where most software uses upper case, or they may put unusual but legal values
in the TCP or IP-ID fields or a hundred other things that make the attack
stand out.

Yes, that's what I eventually concluded - but I concluded it by studying
the input data, not by studying the system's internal data.