On 06/01/07, Mike Dougherty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I really want to see a central traffic computer take driving away from all
the unqualified (or disinterested) drivers on the roads.  I'd really like to
see companies get incentives to allow "knowledge workers" work from home
offices to save commute time and fuel resources, but until that happens
(yeah, the employer wants to give up their sense of control?) it would be
nice to reclaim that time by allowing me to focus on what *I* want rather
than on driving.

I agree on the driving thing.  One day people will laugh about the times
when you once had to get behind a steering wheel and wrestle with it, and
how human driving was so unreliable that people had to be insured against
the results of their own incompetence.  The most optimistic pundits believe
that it will be ten years from Stanley to the highway.  There could be
numerous non-technical hurdles (both legal and insurance related) which
might delay progress further.

I expect to see the first autonomous road system in some relatively quiet
area of the world, where there are few (or no) traffic regulations, and no
insurance companies to complain.  Maybe some country in Africa or a province
of China will be the first to go autonomous.