On 1/20/07, David Clark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Do we divine the rules/laws/algorithms from a mass of data or do we
generate
the appropriate conclusions when we need them because we understand how it
actually works?

Just as chemistry is reducible to physics, in theory, while in reality it is
a completely different subject... I think it is necessary that we populate
the knowledgebase with *redundant* facts/rules.  So we don't have to derive
everything from scratch every time we do an inference.  Some facts/rules are
derivable from other facts/rules.  Whenever a fact/rule require more than,
say, 3 steps of inference we will enter it into the knowledgebase.  This
does not mean that the AGI does not *understand* the facts/rules.  It does,
but it memorizes intermediate results.  If needed, it can explain the
facts/rules using more basic facts/rules.

YKY