Hi,

Possibly this could be approached by partitioning the rule-set into
"small chunks of rules that work together", so that one didn't end up
trying everything against everything else.  These "chunks of rules"
might well be context dependent, so that one would use different chunks
at a dinner table than in a work shop.  There would need to be ways to
combine different chunks of rules, of course, so e.g. a restaurant table
would be different from a dinner table, but would have overlapping sets
of rules.  (I hope I'm not just re-inventing frames...)

The issue is how these contexts are learned.  If context have to be
programmer-supplied, then you ARE just reinventing frames....

"Context formation" is a tricky inference problem in itself

-- Ben