From: Benjamin Goertzel [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, January 21, 2007 8:57 AM
To: agi@v2.listbox.com
Subject: Re: [agi] (video)The Future of Cognitive Computing

Peter wrote:
> > Ben, your comment seems to reflect your frustration at lack of funding
> > rather than a realistic assessment of the situation. Even if no
*dedicated*
> > AGI engineering project is first to achieve AGI, people in the
software/AI
> > community will "stumble on" a solution long before reverse engineering
> > becomes feasible. Don't you agree?

Actually, I don't quite agree with your penultimate sentence...

I don't think that people in the software/AI community are likely to
"stumble on" a solution to AGI in the next few decades....  Definitely
not before the 2030-or-so time-point that Kurzweil speculates for the
human-brain-emulation approach.

Narrow-AI and AGI are pretty different.  If we have to rely on the
narrow-AI folks -- even smart ones like the Google folks -- to get us
to AGI, then we're in pretty bad luck, and the brain-emulators may win
the race...

But my projection is that explicit AGI research is going to zoom to
prominence vividly and excitingly sometime in the first half of the
next decade.

Of course, what triggers this may be when word of our amazing AGI
successes with Novamente ... or yours with A2I2 ... begin to leak out
;-) ....  [Not that we have had amazing AGI successes yet with
Novamente, except on the theory-and-design level -- we've had some fun
small-scale practical successes, but our practical work is still at
the level of a very sophisticated cognitive-mechanism-toolkit being
used to drive a pretty primitive baby-AI  -- but I'm projecting into
the future...!].  Then we will see just how fast the takeoff is, and
how big is the vaunted first-mover advantage after all ;=)

ben

http://v2.listbox.com/member/?list_id=303