The trouble is that you can only really decide whether a statement is
"non-probabilistic" if enough people have voted unanimously yes or no.  Even
then you can't be sure that the next person to vote won't go the opposite
way.

On 24/01/07, YKY (Yan King Yin) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 1/24/07, Bob Mottram <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I think it would be better to design a system with probabilistic
reasoning as a fundamental component from the outset, rather than trying to
bolt this on as an after thought.  I know from doing a lot of stuff with
machine vision that modelling sensor uncertainties is critical for being
able to understand the spatial structure of the environment, and I expect
similar principles will apply when reasoning within more abstract domains.

Yes I agree.  I think Pei Wang's version of uncertain logic is very simple
and effective.  It uses 2 numbers, one for probability (as frequency) and
one for "support" or "confidence".

On the other hand, I suspect that many commonsense statements do not have
probabilistic values attached to them.  For example "water conducts
electricity" or "oil is slippery" are not really probabilistic.  We should
leave an option for a statement to be non-probabilistic.

YKY