So, sorry, but I am looking at the same data, and as far as I am concerned I see almost no evidence that probability theory plays a significant role in cognition at the concept level.

What that means, to go back to the original question, is that the possibility I raised is still completely open.

To a large extent, current data about human cognition is like a Rorschach blot!

I.e., it is sufficiently noisy and incomplete, that people with many different views can see in it conjectural evidence for their own perspectives ;-)

My own approach has been to take
-- philosophy of mind (as I presented in The Hidden Pattern and earlier works)
-- the theory of computation and algorithms

as the basic foundations, but then given foundations based on these, to look to cognitive science for whatever inspiration it can give.

I do not claim however that I can prove my interpretation of contemporary cog sci data correct, any more than you can prove your interpretation correct. The data is too sparse to support solid interpretations at present.

And I definitely wouldn't want the NM AGI design to be judged based on my intuitive and speculative assessments of data about human cognition. Whatever its various conceptual inspirations, the NM design is a specific mathematical and software design that may be assessed on its own merits (by those who are looking at its details, which of course have not been publicly disclosed at the moment ;-).

-- Ben