On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 16:07:13 -0500, Ben Goertzel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

only under an independence assumption.

True, I did not make the independence assumption explicit.

Note that dutch books cannot be made against an AGI that does not claim to have knowledge it does not have.

That is true and important, and is why Pei and I and others use multiple-component truth values in our systems -- we explicitly track the weight of evidence associated with uncertainty estimates.

I don't see how multiple-component truth values might block a fully developed Novamente from being vulnerable to dutch books, if that is what you are saying here.

In fact I have been thinking about how one might attempt a dutch book against Novamente involving your multiple component values, but I do not yet fully understand b. My impression at the moment is that b is similar to 'power' in conventional statistics -- a real number from 0 to 1 that roughly speaking acts as a measure of the robustness of the analysis. Fair comparison?

-gts