Eric Baum wrote:

Ben> And, I'm not thinking to use such a list as the basis for
Ben> creating an AGI, but simply as a tool for assisting in thinking
Ben> about an already-existing AGI design that was created based on
Ben> other principles.  My suspicion is that all the known and
Ben> powerful human inductive biases are already built into Novamente
Ben> in various ways, I much doubt Novamente has the library of procedures that a Bee is born with.

Correct. This is an apparent point of disagreement between us. My own working hypothesis is that the hard-coded inductive biases needed for achieving AGI are at a higher level than, say, specific navigation routines. As two, semi-random examples: We do build in a bias to look for patterns among percepts that appear to originate from physically nearby locations. And we build in a bias toward imitative behavior. And our program learning component has a bias for hierarchical learning that will bias the system toward e.g. learning recursive dynamic-programming-like algorithms for navigation (but is still different than
supplying the system with navigation algorithms).

I think that the old book "Rethinking Innateness"

http://crl.ucsd.edu/~elman/Papers/book/index.shtml

got a lot of things right about the nature/nurture controversy. The genome definitely encodes a lot of biases that direct learning in appropriate directions, but my suspicion is that you overestimate the
specificity and concreteness of the genetically inbuilt biases.

However, the Novamente architecture does in fact support import of more specific biases and code routines as you suggest. So, if you create them, we can plug them in and see if the Novamente learning mechanisms are able to take them as building-blocks and utilize them
effectively.

Thus, I believe the Novamente architecture is going to be suitable for experimenting with
both of our working hypotheses.

-- Ben