Richard Loosemore wrote:
Ben,

I am not sure the question has been stated clearly enough to be answered meaningfully, yet.

The list given by your correspondent was extremely vague: what does it mean to talk about "an implicit set of constraints on ontologies that can be discovered by systematic 'scientific' investigation"? For example, there are things I can only perceive *directly* (whatever that means) if they are in 3-D space, but "systematic scientific investigation" allows me to think about spaces with other numbers of dimensions, in all kinds of ways. Same goes for causality.

Having said that, I know what you mean at an intuitive level (and I do believe there are built in biasses) but I think the problem is deeply tangled up with what you think the machinery is, that is getting biassed. I am not even convinced that the question can be properly asked unless you can talk in terms of that machinery.

Well, off-the-cuff, here are some biases that can be stated without reference to underlying machinery:

-- Assume perceptual inputs refer to a 3D space
-- Bias perceptual pattern search toward patterns among nearby percepts
-- Assume there will be persistent objects in the 3D space

-- Assume that imitation of percepts may be an effective strategy in many contexts

And what is the boundary between an ontological bias and a lesser tendency to learn a certain kind of thing, which can nevertheless be overridden through experience?

There is no rigid boundary, of course, and won't be any complete and comprehensive list...

Ben