On 2/20/07, Mark Waser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Ah.  Well . . . . if that is the direction that your AGI is taking, then
you should ignore my speechifying . . . .  :-)

Right, we were thinking about different things then :)

Though, if you're talking about searches like "all *previously generated*
S-expressions of less than 100 nodes with this set of operators", I'll bet
that my enterprise database will scale further and be faster than your
custom solution.

Yeah, for searching large data sets I agree, a commercial database is as
good as you're going to get.

exaflop-range number-crunching runs for physical/spatial simulation,
image analysis etc
human intelligence doesn't do any of this and you'd want to do it all in
hardware and localized IO systems anyways     :-)

Yes it does! Custom hardware would be nice for some of this stuff, granted,
but I don't think we'll see AI projects having the budget for custom
hardware in the foreseeable future.

Also, why would 32 -> 64 bit be a problem, provided you planned for it in
advance?
Name all the large, long-term projects that you know of that *haven't*
gotten bitten by something like this.  Now, name all of the large, long-term
projects that you know of that HAVE gotten bitten repeatedly by the state of
the art moving past something that they have custom programmed and can't
easily integrate.  If the second number isn't a lot larger than the first,
you're not living in my world.    :-)

Well, I don't think large long-term projects usually plan for it in advance
:) Whereas it doesn't make sense to plan for anything except 64-bit at this
stage.