YKY (Yan King Yin) wrote:
I agree with Ben and Pei etc on this issue. Narrow AI is VERY different from general AI. It is not at all easy to integrate several narrow AI applications to a single, functioning system. I have never heard of something like this being done, even for two computer vision programs. IMO what we need most right now is a unified knowledge representation language, perhaps something like Cyc or better.

There are plenty of formal knowledge representation languages already, but so what? They can be tuned in various ways, but this isn't going to get us very far toward AGI...

I have a question: is it possible to represent an episodic story in Cyc? For example "Little Red Riding Hood". How about in Novamente?
Yes, it is possible to represent a story in Cyc-L or any other rich logic-based formal language -- in the sense that one can create a representation of the story in such a language, that will be understood by humans who read it. But so what? The meaningfulness of the representation for AGI purposes is very hard to assess until you have an integrated system that can do interesting stuff based on the stories it "knows"...

On the face of it, a "representation" of a story in Cyc-L is not necessarily any more useful for AGI than a representation of the story in English...

A more interesting question to think about, rather than how to represent a story in a formal language, is: How would you convince yourself that your AGI actually understood a story? What kind of question-answers or behaviors would convince you of this? The "textual entailment challenge" is of some relevance here, perhaps.

-- Ben

A story like Riding Hood has the following elements:
1. vision / sensory
2. spatio-temporal
3. natural language
4. social (minds of other agents)
5. naive physics
so it is rich enough as a benchmark. YKY