On Mar 14, 2007, at 4:34 AM, Kevin Peterson wrote:
I don't know, though. It might be interesting to reformulate things in
terms of interacting with a virtual world over the same channels
humans do. Text chatting is just too narrow a channel to tell much.
When an AI can reach max level in comparable playing time to a human
and lead a guild in a MMORPG, hooked up to the computer running the
game client only via a video cable, mouse and keyboard, I'll be very
impressed.

Leading a guild requires a lot of chat -- so much so, in fact,
as to be effectively a Turing test.  However, the "level in
comparable playing time to a human" is not at all hard, and at
least in some systems, doesn't require much intelligence at all.

http://www.wowglider.com/ has such a bot, which plays World of
Warcraft just as a person does with keyboard and mouse input.
This was so effective that Blizzard is suing them now, having
been unable to defeat the bot programmatically, since it just
plays WoW the same way that a human would.

(It might be that wowglider is an elaborate scam and doesn't
actually work as advertised, but the fact that the makers of
WoW are suing suggests it does work.)

--
Randall Randall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
"Is it asking too much to be given time [...]