In my thinking I've dropped the neural inspiration and everything is in terms of pure math. Each module (probably better drop that term, it's ambiguous and confusing: let's use IAM, interpolating associative memory, instead), each IAM is simply a relation, a set of points in N-space, with an implied surface or manifold stretched between them. If you wire it feedforward, it's a function; if you wire it recurrently, it's a FSA or even a Hopfield net-like continuous-state automaton.
I don't yet understand how you get from

a) a set of points in N-space, to

b) a feedforward or recurrent function

(I can think of many ways to do so, but I don't know which you are using.)

Could you be more explicit?  Mathematics is fine...

thx
ben