On 3/16/07, David Clark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Is "very complicated" a good reason to have 1 cognitive engine?  Why not
have many and even use many on the same problem and then accept the best
answer?  Best answer might change for a single problem depending on other
issues outside the actual problem area.  Why put all the eggs in one
basket?  Is deduction the appropriate metaphor for all questions and
thinking?  Do you use only logical analysis or fuzzy logic for everything
you think about?
Let me concede that having a centralized cognitive engine may make the
system kind of brittle.  It may be the same reason why airplanes still have
accidents but I've never heard of a birds having accidents during flight.

From my perspective I think building a "von Neumann" style AGI (ie with a
small number of "neat" modules) is much easier than the distributive
approach.  I'm not saying that the latter approach won't work, but it's just
that I find the first route *much* easier (perhaps to me, particularly).

Notice that I have outlined an agenda for building the "neat" AGI,
whereas the distributive AGI is still at the stage of some very fundamental
questions.

If you can see the "logic" underlying a diverse spectrum of cognitive tasks,
then you may be convinced that a central cognitive engine can handle it
all.  It was probably just as hard to believe that *rigid* planes could make
a flying machine.  In fact, the logical approach has been applied to diverse
areas including natural language and vision.  What I see is that some
incremental change will lead us to success, whereas you see this as a dead
end.

Perhaps we can settle this issue by saying that *both* approaches are
viable, and that exactly which approach is superior is a very complex
issue.  There are pros and cons on each side.

YKY