>> As has been pointed out in this thread (I believe by Goertzel and
>> Hall) Minsky's approach in Society of Mind et seq of adding large
>> numbers of systems then begs the question: how will these things
>> ever work together, and why should the system generalize?

rooftop> How does adding auditory modules to our brain generalize
rooftop> anything? How does addinga new inference algorithm generalize
rooftop> anything? Because you have extra ways to process information,
rooftop> you can extract new information and build new modules around
rooftop> it.

rooftop> I don't see how adding information and code can be a bad
rooftop> thing (if you have enough cpu power), it will just make it
rooftop> more likely for the right subset to be part of your system

An AGI does something specific. Adding a new inference algorithm to
it, aside from slowing it down, can also make it do the wrong thing.
Especially when its a program for something as complicated as cognition.

Its not that I'm against modules.

rooftop> I criticized it
>> from this point of view in What is Thought? One way to try to
>> handle the organization then is an economic framework.

rooftop> I thought the obvious equivalent of {economy and money} is
rooftop> information spreading. If you are a big player, a lot of
rooftop> other modules will take your outputs (information) and
rooftop> process it, giving you more influence overall. Useless
rooftop> information won't be further processed and will be a dead end
rooftop> in the system

Well, I'm not sure what particular algorithm you are referring to
here. Something has to decide who is a big
player and which information is useless. Minsky doesn't describe
how that's done anywhere that I know.

The Soviet Union tried to run the economy by central management,
and it didn't work in part because the center doesn't have
the information to decide what is needed to be done. That information
is carried in a free market economy by prices, and its basically
unavailable to the central planners, who therefor can't readily get
the economy right.
In the mind you might imagine a central unit which effectively
understands what the price structure should be because it was created
by evolution, but its by no means clear how to get it right in an AI
unless you have something like prices.

rooftop>
rooftop> options, please go to:
rooftop> http://v2.listbox.com/member/?list_id=303