I have a Math minor from University but in 32 years of computer work, I
haven't used more than grade 12 Math in any computer project yet.  I have
produced thousands of programs for at least 100 clients including creating a
language/database that sold over 30,000 copies.  I have done system
programming and lots of assembly language as well as major applications in
PowerBuilder and Visual FoxPro.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion but
if Math wasn't required at all in all my career, I fail to see how it is
necessary for the creation on an AGI or any other major programming effort.

I created a bond comparison program for a major wealth investment firm that
used a pretty fancy formula at it's core but I just typed it in.  I didn't
have to create it, prove it or even understand exactly why it was any good.
I think Math is fine but computer programs from my perspective are a totally
different creature.  How much Math do you think is used by the brains of
most human beings?  By the way, I did complete a 3rd year computer
engineering course in 2000 where the professor tried to show how you could
make and prove programs correct with a totally Math system.  Good thing he
is a professor and doesn't have to work in the real world.

A CPU executes instructions including assignment, conditionals and simple
looping.  How can a language not have these things and still be useful.
Functional languages seem to refute this statement but they still must be
implemented in procedural internal code.  Functional languages like SQL and
report generators are already implemented in procedural languages (so it
doesn't have to be either/or) and more could be as needed.  Is useful and
practical not better than "revolutionary" and limited?

Would you define total introspection and many built-in tools to create
efficient programs using programs to be "same old things rehashed"?  Is
having a very fast built-in database with triggers and stored procedures
just laisser-faire?  Most human invention isn't brand new concepts or ideas
but different and useful combinations of things already known IMO.

I made a point about the efficiency of creating high level languages in the
language of the AGI.  I argue that this causes a performance hit of up to
100x or more depending on the complexity of the code. (less complex means a
bigger performance hit)  With the tools I have put into my language, higher
level functional or other languages can easily be made and then compiled
into the native language for huge cycle savings.  This can't be said for all
the languages I have looked at so far.

If you care to comment on any of my points directly, I would more than happy
to respond.

-- David Clark