On Fri, Mar 23, 2007 at 11:29:22AM -0400, Pei Wang wrote:

> In general, we should see intelligence and evolution as two different
> forms of adaptation. Roughly speaking, intelligence is achieved

What about intelligence that works evolutionary? I agree that Edelman's
thesis is not well validated, but at least to my knowledge it has
not been ruled out.

> through experience-driven changes ("learning" or "conditioning")
> within a single system, while evolution is achieved through
> experience-independent changes ("crossover" or "mutation") across

Of course evolutionary systems can and do carry memory across
generations. They're not ahistorical.

> generations of systems. The "intelligent" changes are more
> justifiable, gradual, and reliable, while the "evolutionary" changes

What if human intelligence is Darwin-driven?