Is the research on AI full of Math because there are many Math
    professors that publish in the field or is the problem really Math
    related?  Many PhDs in computer science are Math oriented exactly
    because the professors that deem their work worth a PhD are either
    Mathematicians or their sponsoring professor was.

I don't know of any math profs who publish in artificial intelligence, though no doubt
there are a few that do.  No, thinking about it now I can think of a few.

My PhD is in math and I used to be a math prof, but I have found no opportunity yet to use really advanced math in AI

"Advanced undergraduate level" math is as far as it's gone so far ... the most advanced stuff has been in Novamente's probabilistic reasoning component, but there's nothing here really going beyond undergrad probability, stats, and vector calculus...

No algebraic geometry, no "modular forms" or "inaccessible cardinals" of the mind, etc. ;-)

Ben G