On 3/24/07, rooftop8000 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> one chooses a
> decent option and gets on with it.
>
> -- Ben

That's exactly the problem.. everyone just builds their
own ideas and doesn't consider how their ideas and code could
(later) be used by other people

If Novamente reaches human like, general intelligence, you'll use it
by saying things like, "Novamente, I'm out of beer." and he'll know to
run out to the store to get some!

But seriously, some companies may intend that their projects get used
more macroscopically than as a marketplace for AGI parts. Adding that
extra dimension to a project has extra cost and it's not clear what
the pay off will be. Just the fact that you make certain choices about
AGI will probably mean that 80% of us say "I won't use that because
you didn't blah blah blah." Examples of "blah blah blah" include bake
in high level math, use one communication protocol, use multiple
communication protocols, use .NET, did not use .NET, use Java, did not
use Java, lojbanize everything, etc.

AGI companies tend to have a strong(er) idea of what they are trying
to accomplish. If you want an "open AGI architecture" for community
collaboration on the internals of the AGI, then it is more likely to
come in the form of an open source project pushed mostly by
individuals.

Furthermore, I have my doubts that such an approach will lead to AGI.
I think a close knit, full-time team with a vision, such as Novamente
or AdaptiveAI, has a much better chance. I offer no proof--that's just
my impression.

-Chuck