--- Chuck Esterbrook <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > That might be bad from your perspective, but I think it could be good
> > > from a global perspective. For one thing, each group will have its own
> > > approach and one will cross the finish line earlier than the others.
> > > Since you can't objectively predict which approach that will be, the
> > > diversity is valuable. Also, the groups may learn from each other or
> > > improve their performance in response to the accomplishment of other
> > > groups.
> > >
> > > The fragmentation of ordinary software development can be frustrating.
> > > There is Java vs. .NET vs. C++ vs. open source (which isn't really
> > > entirely separate from the others). But I'm positive none of these
> > > would have progressed as far without the competition. Hell, Java 5.0
> > > was *all* about responding to .NET which in turn was very much about
> > > responding to the Java phenomena. And we reap the rewards: there is
> > > more benefit than harm.
> >
> > Too bad java and c++ are pretty horrible languages and they kept
> > better languages from being used.
>
> Well, I didn't say it was a perfect system. :-)
>
> Still, even the top 3 put together (Java, C, C++) don't break 50%:
> http://www.tiobe.com/tpci.htm
>
> And you can see that Python, Ruby and D are on the rise.
>
> -Chuck
>
> -----
> http://v2.listbox.com/member/?list_id=303

I think Ruby is related to LISP and smalltalk.. they have some nice
properties.. it's very easy to make code that writes and performs code
at run-time. Really flexible compared to
java reflection .. you also don't have to worry about compilation etc

Although from that site it seems obvious to use java if you want
a big collaboration