On Thu, Mar 29, 2007 at 09:35:57AM -0400, Pei Wang wrote:

> I have to disagree. The following is adapted from my chapter in the
> AGI collection
> (http://www.springer.com/west/home/generic/order?SGWID=4-40110-22-43950079-0):

I have to disagree with your disagreement. Provably optimal computational
substrates and representation can be optimized by co-evolution. This
process is open-ended.

> *. "Complete self-modifying" is an illusion. As Hofstadter put it, "below
> every tangled hierarchy lies an inviolate level" [in GEB]. If we
> allow a system to modify its meta-level knowledge, i.e., its inference rules
> and control strategy, we need to give it (fixed) meta-meta-level knowledge
> to specify how the modification happens. As flexible as the human mind

Stochastical optimization doesn't have any blinkers. Of course, it
takes a population, because most of these are fatal.

> is, it cannot modify its own "low of thought".
>
> *. Though high-level self-modifying will give the system more flexibility,
> it
> does not necessarily make the system more intelligent. Self-modifying at

If intelligence is infoprocessing capability, then any process that
maximizes the ops/g and ops/J will also optimize for intelligence.

> the meta-level is often dangerous, and it should be used only when the
> same effect cannot be produced in the object-level. To assume "the more
> radical the changes can be, the more intelligent the system will be" is
> unfounded. It is easy to allow a system to modify its own source code,
> but hard to do it right.

Yes, it took evolution a while before it learned to evolve. ALife hasn't
reached that first milestone yet.

> Even if you write a C compiler in C, or a Prolog interpreter in Prolog
> (which is much easier), it cannot be used without something else that
> understand at least a subset of the language.

The whole language metaphor in AI is a crock. It makes so many smart
people go chasing wild geese up blind alleys.