Nice article.  It's a white knuckle ride towards the singularity from now
on!

On 14/04/07, Bruce Klein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

The creation of a superhumanly intelligent AI system could be possible
within 10 years, with an "AI Manhattan Project," says Ben Goertzel.

Published on KurzweilAI.net April 9, 2007

Is AI Engineering the Shortest Path to a Positive Singularity?

The first robots I recall reading about were in Isaac Asimov's novels.1
Though I was quite young when I read them, I recall being perplexed that
his robots were so close to humans in their level of intelligence.
Surely, it seemed to me, once we could make a machine as smart as a
person, we would soon afterwards be able to make one much smarter. It
seemed unlikely that the human brain embodied some kind of intrinsic
upper limit to evolved or engineered intelligence.

And sure enough, after a little more reading I discovered there were
plenty of SF writers who thought the same way as me, exploring the
implications of superhuman artificial intelligence. I learned that many
others before me had reached the conclusion that the creation of
machines vastly smarter than humans would lead to a profound
discontinuity in the history of mind-on-Earth.2

But what I did not see back in the 1970s when I started plowing through
the SF literature, was just how plausible it was that this discontinuous
transition would occur during my own lifetime. Back then, my primary
plan for radical life extension on a personal level was to figure out
how to build a super-fast (probably nuclear powered) spaceship, and fly
it away from Earth at relativistic speeds, returning in a few tens of
thousands of years when others would have surely solved the problems of
curing human aging, creating superhuman thinking machines, and so
forth3. I didn't consider it very likely, at that time, that technology
would advance so rapidly within my natural human lifespan so as to make
the futures envisioned in SF novels seem old-fashioned and unimaginative.

Things look very different now!—and not because the menu of
possibilities has changed so much, though there are differences in
emphasis now (nanotech and quantum computing were not so popular in the
70s, for instance). Rather, things look different because the plausible
time-scale for the technological discontinuity associated with the
advent of superhuman AI has become so excitingly near-term. There is
even a popular label for this discontinuity: the Singularity. A
reasonably large number of serious scientists now expect that superhuman
AI, general-purpose molecular assemblers, uploading of human minds into
software containers, and other amazing science-fictional feats may well
be possible within the next century. Vernor Vinge, who originated the
use of the term Singularity in this context4, said in 1993 that he
expected the event to occur before 2030. Ray Kurzweil, who has become
the best-known spokesman for the Singularity idea, estimates 2045 or so5.

MORE:
http://www.kurzweilai.net/meme/frame.html?main=/articles/art0701.html

http://v2.listbox.com/member/?&;