Pei,
  First it would seem you need to come to a consensus definition of
"intelligence" and Im not sure how much your theory would or would need to
cover anything beyond the definition there?

James Ratcliff

Pei Wang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: Well, I surely don't mean AIXI type of
theory.

I believe that all kinds of intelligence can be explained as the
capability of adaptation with insufficient knowledge and resources. I
understand that you don't share this understanding of intelligence.

Pei

On 4/15/07, Benjamin Goertzel  wrote:

> > According to my belief, the way to create AGI is to have a general
> > theory of intelligence, which should cover the common principle under
> > all kinds of intelligent systems, including human intelligence,
> > computer intelligence, etc., even alien intelligence and superhuman
> > AGI. Therefore, this theory should also cover your AGI0 to AGIn.
> >

> Ahhh....
>
> Well, this gets at the crux of our disagreement.
>
> I have my doubts that such a theory is possible.  I think it may be
> possible to create a general theory of "roughly human level intelligence"
> just as Hutter and colleagues seem to be hot on the trail of a general
> theory of "near infinite computational power intelligence".
>
> But I suspect that computer systems with processing power and memory
> vastly greater than humans but vastly less than is needed for algorithms
> like Hutter's AIXItl to be possible, will display forms of intelligence that
> aren't covered by either the Hutter-type theories, nor the theories covering
> roughly-human-level intelligence...
>
> True, there may be commonalities between sub-AIXItl-level superhuman, human
> level, and AIXItl level intelligences.  But, I suspect the differences will
> be
> at least as dramatic...
>
> As examples, I think that the sorts of self, awareness and "perceived free
> will" that characterize human mind may not apply to all superhuman
> intelligences.
>
> I can certainly imagine a superhuman AGI whose cognition is governed by
> complex, emergent patterns that are beyond human comprehension.  I might
> be able to understand in some general sense that its behaviors are guided
> by emergent patterns, that it seems to be engaged in calculating
> probabilities,
> etc. -- but the main structures and dynamics guiding its cognition might be
> new principles, which apply only to minds vastly smarter than humans and
> can't be grokked by mere human brains...
>
> -- Ben

http://v2.listbox.com/member/?&;

James Ratcliff - http://falazar.com
Looking for something...