From: DEREK ZAHN [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, April 25, 2007 7:25 AM
To: agi@v2.listbox.com
Subject: [agi] GI as substrate for memetic evolution

Nothing particularly original here, but I think
it's kind of interesting.

Suppose that at some point, basically by accident,
the brains of our ancestors became capable of supporting
the evolution of "memes".

Biological evolution started with a LOOONG period of
low complexity creatures, during which time the basic
pieces were discovered, the fruitful building blocks
on which diversity would flourish.  Similarly, our
ancestors were stupid for a long time because they only
hosted simple memes, churning away in their brains.
Eventually the core building blocks for complex memes
were discovered, leading to faster and faster progress
as the size of the substrate increased through population,
the ability for fitter memes to spread increased through
written language and internets, and the memes themselves
are more complex and diverse.

Looking at it this way, we can define the general
intelligence of an individual as the extent to which it
can function as part of this substrate for memetic
evolution -- the ability to host, communicate, and
perform genetic operations on memes as they exist
in human culture.

This definition also suffers from a lack of intermediate
progress points, but it suggests that studying memes
may be an interesting alternative (or precursor) to
studying reasoning, perception, memory, architectures,
etc.

Are any prospective AGI builders working from a viewpoint
similar to this?

http://v2.listbox.com/member/?&;