On 5/15/07, Shane Legg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hmmm.  Ok, imagine that you have two optimization algorithms
X and Y and they both solve some problem equally well.  The
difference is that Y uses twice as many resources as X to do it.
As I understand your notion of intelligence, X would be considered
more intelligent than Y.  True?

This situation won't happen in a system designed according to my
notion of intelligence, since the system normally won't solve the
problem using the same algorithm. Instead, each instance will be
handled in a case by case manner, and the resource expense will be a
variable, not a constant, over the occurrences of the problem.

However, in general I do think that, other things being equal, the
system that uses less resources is more intelligent.

Essentially then, according to you intelligence depends on how well
a system can perform per unit of resources consumed?

I won't put it in this way, because resource cost is just one of many
factors that determine the intelligence of a system. Other factors
include the complexity of input/output signals, the depths of
processing, etc. I'm not ready to suggest a complete list.

> beside input/output of
> the system, you assume the rewards to be maximized come from the
> environment in a numerical form, which is an assumption not widely
> accepted outside the reinforcement learning community. For example,
> NARS may interpret certain input as reward, and certain other input as
> punishment, but it depends on many factors in the system, and is not
> objective at all. For this kind of systems (I'm sure NARS isn't the
> only one), how can your evaluation framework be applied?

NARS can...
- accept a number as input?
- be instructed to try to maximise this input?
- interact with its environment in order to try to do this?

I assume NARS is able to do all of these things.

Though NARS has the potential to work in the environment you
specified, it is not designed to maximize a reward measurement given
by the environment.

Pei