Ben,

According to this distinction, AIXI and evolution have high intelligence
but low efficient intelligence.

Yes, and in the case of AIXI it is presumably zero given that the resource
consumption is infinite.  Evolution on the other hand is just efficient
enough
that when implemented on a crazy enough scale the results can be pretty
amazing.

If this hypothesis is correct then AIXI and the like don't really tell us
much about
what matters, which is the achievement of efficient intelligence in
relevant real-world
contexts...

That might well be true.

I don't want to give the impression that I don't care about the efficiency
of
intelligence.  On any given hardware the most intelligent system will be the
one that runs the algorithm with the greatest intelligence efficiency.
Thus,
if I want to see very intelligent systems then I need to care about how
efficient they are.  Nevertheless, it is still the end product raw
intelligence
generated by the system that really excites me, rather than statistics on
its
internal efficiency.

Shane